The Portal of the Immigrant Association (PIA) offers professional counseling services (specialized advice) to individuals: adults and young people.
Counseling services contribute to improving the mental health, well-being and safety of our clientele through crisis intervention and quality services.
Crisis counseling, offered as part of support services, is intended for clients who have an urgent need for advice and support that cannot be met through routine referrals to other core programs or personalized services.
It is offered when a client is unable to concentrate on the information provided to them due to difficult circumstances, such as abuse, mental health issue or disorder, illness, divorce, bereavement, etc.
- Helps clients overcome a situation of crisis, disorder or difficulty, which prevents their functioning and their access to settlement services;
- Allows customers to quickly resume their establishment procedures.
This service is offered by a registered social worker..
2. Service cost
Counseling is free at the PIA.
3. Who is eligible?
- Francophones and Francophiles
4. How to benefit from the service
a) Walk-in counseling
Walk-in counseling is available Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 830-840 7th Avenue SW, Calgary
b) Counseling by appointment
- Call 403-612-2231 Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Fill out the form and you will then receive a confirmation of the appointment either by phone call and/or email.
5. Types of counseling
Individuals (adults and youth) will benefit from the following services:
- Crisis intervention;
- Psychosocial support;
- Support in depression, anxiety, bereavement, eating disorder;
- Support in the resolution of the addiction acquired by habit or for pleasure;
- Connection to available resources;
- Psychosocial support for divorce or separation;
- Managing bullying, suicidal thoughts, trauma.
Our counseling service offers a maximum of five sessions (intervention and follow-up) per client, depending on the need and the seriousness of the situation. After the 5 sessions, the client may be referred, if necessary, to other organizations for long-term support.